Of course you can! While we provide an embeddable player for every episode, you do not have to use it for playback, and can absolutely have your website use something else, or you may even have a custom mobile application.
For the player of your choice, you can either get the mp3 audio URLs for episodes from the RSS feed enclosure tags (as podcasting applications do) or from the mp3 link for the episode, on the "Edit Episode > Embeddable Player" tab:
There are a few things you need to do when making or using a player in order to have your downloads and ad impressions follow the IAB standards for podcast measurement:
- Do not allow pre-loading in players and on websites (e.g. preload=none for HTML5)
- We do not implement Auto-play. This will result in a bad user experience for the user with audio they were not expecting to hear.
- Make clear download or progressive download requests. For a full download, ask for the entire file in one go. For a progressive download, ask for the file in slices (byte range). That way, a full download can be distinguished from a progressive download.
- Do not modify the enclosure URL when requesting media, don’t add extra parameters.
- Do not cache podcast episodes on your servers. Always download the latest episode from the enclosure URL for every app user wanting to listen.
- Use the GUID (as opposed to episode URL, title, publication date, etc.) to identify new episodes in the RSS feed that should be automatically downloaded to a user’s device. (The GUID is designed to be persistent through changes to hosting environment, titles, etc.)
- Employ an “automatic download unsubscribe” behavior (e.g. stop auto downloads after 5 episodes of non-listens).
- Do not automatically download all episodes (e.g. back catalog episodes) by default. This creates unnecessary drain on the publishers’ servers and consumes users’ bandwidth.