What is the relationship between PRX and producers?
The PRX Exchange is an open, non-exclusive distribution platform, but we also have an active editorial and distribution relationship with various producers and stations who use the Exchange. We see this approach as a three-level pyramid:
- A broad base of programs offered through PRX's open marketplace (exchange.prx.org)
- We are constantly working to improve the ways that producers can increase exposure to their work, including our search engine and our automated recommendations.
- A middle tier of curated work that our editorial team hand picks and features on the site and promotes to stations
- We comb the catalog every day to find the most relevant pieces to feature. In the course of a year we showcase hundreds of producers, and encourage you to alert us to anything you think deserves featuring. Read more here.
- A small roster of signature programs that PRX helps actively develop and offer to public radio and/or podcast audiences.
- Signature programs are exclusive to PRX and represent partnerships with producers that reflect both an editorial vision for groundbreaking content and a business plan for sustaining multiple years of development.
- To see a list of featured and signature shows, click here.
How do I become a signature show?
PRX only takes on a handful of signature programs at a time, and we assess the opportunities on a case-by-case basis. We do not have an open call for proposals, but we are constantly listening and watching what producers upload to PRX. While we welcome inquiries and even unsolicited pitches, we cannot respond in detail to each one. If you are looking for a guide, the programs that catch our attention are ones that have ALL of these components:
- original voice, style and expression
- a demonstrated commitment to diversity
- addresses a gap/need in the current national program marketplace, with a path to reaching/attracting new audiences
- an existing commitment to social media and multiplatform distribution
- a strong and experienced business and management capacity
- a collaborative and motivated team
- a track record of successful fundraising and/or revenue generation
- and then there is the undefinable "IT" — the magic that says a show or a program or the talent behind it has the spark.