PRX is shaping the future of audio by connecting talented producers with their most engaged, supportive audiences. PRX Remix is one way we do just that.
Remix is our 24/7 channel of the best audio, handpicked from both independent creators and our podcast network Radiotopia. A lot of what we air isn't heard anywhere else.
We need you! We're always looking for new content and producers to feature.
Think you have a great story for Remix? Read on.
How Remix Works
Remix offers your pieces new life and new audiences. A regular story typically gets aired once on a station or podcast and then gets relegated to a dusty corner of the internet. In Remix, though, our fancy algorithm will surface your story multiple times per year, ad infinitum. Since Remix airs on stations around the country, as well as on XM and an online stream, Remix helps you find fresh ears for your work. If Remix licenses your work, you will also earn royalties based on PRX’s points system.
We license stories for Remix directly from the Exchange, the internet's largest marketplace of audio content, which we founded in 2003. When your audio is on PRX, it's available to Remix as well as hundreds of public radio stations around the U.S. that are regularly licensing work from the site.
What Remix doesn't do is commission original work. Remix acts like a "second market" -- we only air work that was created and, possibly, was aired elsewhere. Bottom line: Remix is a great way for you to get your work in front of listeners as long as you aren’t relying on Remix as your source of funding.
Criteria for Pieces on Remix
Because pieces go into the stream and are shuffled in a true remix for all eternity, to be considered for Remix, audio must be:
- Evergreen (not tied to a particular event). E.g., avoid the use of language like "yesterday" or "on next week's episode".
- Short (under 20 mins; ideally under 10).
- Charming or surprising or mysterious or profound, etc. Basically, it must be unique and story-driven. Listen to our stream to get an idea of what we mean: On XM 123, public radio stations around the country, or online.
- Clean audio or bleeped. This is very important. Remix airs on broadcast radio stations in addition to XM, so we can't have any "bad" words or overtly sexual content.
- Ad-free. If you have a show with ads, please remove them before uploading to PRX.
- Cross-promo-free. If you have a podcast that cross-promos another show, please remove the cross-promo before uploading to PRX.
- Spoken-word. We love you, musicians, but Remix is not for standalone music. However, if you think you have music that would make a cool music bed for a station ID, please email us at [email protected].
How to Submit Your Pieces to Remix
Our Remix producers license stories through the Exchange, so if you want to be considered, this is where your work should go.
- Head to exchange.prx.org and click Sign Up to create an account.
- Next, go to our help section to download our free audio encoder to turn your WAV into an MP2 (our requirement is MP2... it's a public radio thing -- don't ask).
- Create a Piece under My PRX. On the Permissions tab, opt-in to PRX Remix under Outside Purchaser preferences. Also make sure you accurately identify whether your piece is clean or explicit on the Basics tab under Content Advisories (the more specific, the better). If it's clean or already bleeped, we're more likely to license it.
- After uploading, please email [email protected] to alert us to your work and tell us why it works for Remix.
Other Remix FAQ:
Does my story have to have aired elsewhere to be included in Remix?
- Nope. Remix is the perfect outlet for great work that doesn’t quite fit anywhere else (though we take stories that have fit elsewhere too).
Can I still be on Remix if I don’t have a PRX account?
- You need a PRX account in order for your work to be licensed easily for Remix, and you get two hours of space with a free account. To get paid royalties and to have unlimited space, you must have a paid account, which is $50/year. If you don’t have a PRX account and think you have great stuff for Remix, email us ([email protected]) and we can talk about other options.
Email our producers at [email protected].